Sunday, June 28, 2015

June 28, 2015 Sunday

Stayed in Springfield, MO for several reasons.  A pending storm, didn't want to drive and because I couldn't decide where to go next.  Went to a meeting at the Kingdom Hall and met a lady from Oregon who had been to St Petersburg, FL.  Why is this relevant?  Well, two flood companies who have called are from St Petersburg, FL.  When looking at google maps it looks like a whole lot of concrete and big city and humidity. 

Side note, the humidity in Missouri is high and my hair is quite frizzy.  Making me a little cranky when I look in the mirror.  Anyway, I was try to decide if I should drive to St Pete.  The lady I met had a very favorable impression of it.  So off to St Pete tomorrow, and the next day, and maybe the next- about a 16 1/2 hr drive and heading east will loose another hour.

Was just going to chilax in the motel but decided to go check out the Fantastic Caverns:


A lovely 60 degrees, stalagmites and staltites and a number of other geological terms.
 



 A group of 13-18 year old girls in 1867 explored the caves.  Their names are listed on this rock, sorry kinda blurry.  They had a candle in a can to light their way and had to crawl through a narrow openings and over rocks.  Girl power!


 They had musical concerts in the have - included talents such as Buck Owens (too funny, I had such a crush on him as a kid HEE HAW).


Only critters seen were crickets but there are also bats, blind fish & blind salamanders.

No comments:

Post a Comment