Tuesday, June 16, 2015

I am pulling a Forest Gump and "running" across the country...driving across the country really, but it won't be in a straight line.  Taking off on June 22.

The original plan was to camp part of the time, seemed like a reasonable plan...until I did a test camping trip in my back yard.  Got an "instant" tent that is suppose to go up in minutes.  EXCEPT if your name is Lj.  How it is that I can tackle some fairly difficult tasks and yet have difficulty putting up an "instant" tent is beyond comprehension.  I started off with trying to open it while it was upside down.  It didn't make sense to me that the mechanics would be on the outside because it would be subject to weather and be subject to corrosion.  WRONG.  Finally got it right side up and well 1 minute wasn't quite right but it was fairly easy.  This was the outer frame and then a series of buckles and clips set up the tent portion.  Then the cot and the necessary accessories to make for a comfy bed.

After all that was done I took a nap but not in the tent, it was too hot.  Evening dawned (can an evening dawn or just dawn dawn?) and I climbed into the tent and into my cot.  Well after a couple of trips back into the house for varying things I lay waiting for sleep that didn't come, such sadness.  A bum knee and a low cot and no stable walls and the whole task of putting up and furnishing the tent was too much.  Then breaking down the tent solidified my decision that I am not the camping sort.

Motels R Us will be my accommodations with a last resort of a Wal-mart parking lot.

1 comment:

  1. This is hysterical! I'm afraid I am not much of the camping sort and consider it one of my weaknesses. I worry the day will come when I will have to and then what...

    ReplyDelete